Pile Drivers and Divers Health & Welfare Plan
The Pile Drivers, Divers, Bridge, Dock & Wharf Builders Health & Welfare Plan was established on November 1, 1970 to provide group life and health benefits for eligible members and their covered dependents. It is funded under the terms of collective agreements negotiated between the Pile Drivers, Divers, Bridge, Dock and Wharf Builders Local Union 2404 (UBCJ of A) and various employers in the marine construction industry.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The plan is managed by six Trustees appointed by the Union. The Trustees decide what the benefits of the plan will be and under what terms the benefits will be paid, consistent with applicable legislation and the terms of the collective agreement which apply to the plan. The Trustees are:
- Mike Ahner (term expires Sept. 30, 2021)
- Darrell Hawk (Chairman) (term expires Sept. 30, 2024)
- Eric Joyal (term expires Sept. 30, 2021)
- Gavin Perry (term expires Sept. 30, 2021)
- Mike Honeyman (term expires Sept. 30, 2024)
- Jordan Hanson (term expires Sept. 30, 2024)
The plan is based on an Hour Bank system. Your employers contribute for each hour worked under the collective agreement. These hours are accumulated in your Hour Bank to provide you with coverage when you meet the eligibility requirements.
You are able to maintain your coverage by self-payment during periods of unemployment if your hour bank drops below the required number of hours to provide monthly coverage.
The plan includes
- Basic Medical and hospital insurance (Provincial government plan - insured and paid by the Medical Services Plan of B.C.)
- Short Term Disability (STD) benefits for non-occupational disabilities - insured and paid by the British Columbia Life and Casualty Company. This benefit is sometimes referred to as Wage Indemnity (WI).
- Group Life insurance - insured and paid by The Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company (Manulife)
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance - insured and paid by Manulife
- Dental care benefits - insured and paid by Pacific Blue Cross*
- Extended Health Care (EHC) benefits - insured and paid by Pacific Blue Cross*
- Emergency Medical Travel Assistance (included in EHC)
The Trustees have hired Pacific Blue Cross* to administer the Plan on their behalf. Every month, participating employers contribute to a trust fund on behalf of their eligible employees. The Trustees hold and invest the fund, which is used to pay for benefit coverage and for operating expenses.
The information on this web site is an outline of the benefits provided by the Pile Drivers, Divers, Bridge, Dock & Wharf Builders Health & Welfare Plan and is not a contract. This Plan only covers those benefits listed above and included in the Plan Summary and the Plan Booklet. For further information about the Plan, contact the Plan Office or Local 2404.